Things I wish I'd known......

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Go where everybody isn't....

I have attempted business startups that got maybe lukewarm to okay responses, but never anything spectacular, until I stopped doing what everybody was doing and concentrated on offering products or services that were needed, yet not particularly common in my city.

One example is personal fitness training. There is no question that fitness training was and is popular, but it seems there were so many excellent personal trainers around and not much of a barrier to entry really, that the money was just okay, and the hours were long, because I couldn't charge that much for my services, due to all the competition in the area. So I had low rates and a lot of clients that I had to work 10 hour days to survive at all.

Then I decided to specialize in fitness training for low back pain clients, specializing in exercises and stretches that helped resolve low back pain, and I saw my prices and quality of clients go up.

That's just one example, but you want to create a specialized niche and not do what everybody else is doing, because you'll make what everybody else is making.

No comments:

Post a Comment